[Dixielandjazz] Big Business Sucking The Life Out Of Art

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Oct 29 11:29:53 PDT 2007

 Larry Walton wrote:

> What about taking out a clunker or squeak from an 18 track recording
> before mixing? is that OK?

Sure, why not?

> What about overdubbing a part because someone didn't come in exactly right
> or taking the first half of this cut and splicing it onto the last half of
> that cut?  What about click tracks?  Is that cheating?

No.

> There are a thousand tricks and techniques to make less than perfect
> performances, perfect.  That's why they offer college degrees in this now.

> Live performances often have glitches that just don't become apparent or
> objectionable until you hear them six or seven times on a recording.  The
> ear is forgiving but recordings aren't.

That is why i will not hesitate to do a little fixing on my recordings.  I
certainly don't want to sell an infiorer product.  I am not talking about
major fixes to fool the general public, I am talking about just a few little
things.

If you hear my latest recording, it is not perfect by any means.  But it is
pretty damn good.  Very little fixing in it at all.

Some purests claim they want it, warts and all.  No thanks.  If I am going
to listen to music, I want it as good as possible.

--Bob Ringwald
Fulton Street Jazz Band