[Dixielandjazz] Interesting view of music "categories"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 28 14:13:26 PDT 2007

Craig I. Johnson wrote:
> I was just looking at the song listing for Leon Redbone's
> CD "Red To Blue" from the Sugar Hill Label.
> Given the song titles I found it interesting that the
> genre is listed as "folk".

Dear Craig,
I'm not at all surprised.
Back in the early 80s while in Chicago (my jazz Mecca) I became quite
distraught at not finding any jazz earlier than Miles Davis in the bins
in the biggest jazz record shop in town.
Then Jess, browsing elsewhere in the shop, called me over. "Is is the
Johnny Dodds, Ma Rainey and New Orleans stuff you are looking for" she
asked?
It was all in the Nostalgia section!
Even back then.
Kind regards,