[Dixielandjazz] Eddy Duchin & "Ol' man Mose"

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 26 18:58:53 PDT 2007

Hello all

In an previous post I mentioned Eddy Duchin's recording of "Ol' man
Mose". This was in the context of what people hear on the
Carmichael/Venuti recording of "Barnacle Bill". For the record (pun
intended) I'm with Fr Mike on that one - "shithead" 4 times, thrice
clearly, once obscurely.

Duchin's "Ol' man Mose" (LA-1606-A, Los Angeles, 21 March 1938) is
something different. The vocalist (Patricia Norman) has fun with the
"buck, buck, bucket" sequence and, on a couple of occasions, squarks
vigorously. The trouble is that some people hear an "F" rather than a
"B". Rumour has it that the BBC banned the record for airplay.

The question is, what does Norman actually sing? I've played the track
to a few people, with no comment, and nobody has picked up the F-word.
When the controversy is mentioned, everyone hears the F-word. It seems
that hearing is in the ear of the beholder.

All the best,
Anton

PS: I've avoided the F-word, not for prudishness, but because some ISPs
block emails with this word in it. Bucket!