[Dixielandjazz] Why is it that big business always gets a hold of art and takes the life blood out of it?

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 26 17:08:04 PDT 2007

Exactly. Present your product and see who wants it at a fair price.

Here in New Orleans about 100 years ago, long before movies, radio, TV, or
video games, public dances were a frequent entertainment. The band very
often would hire a wagon (the flatbed truck of the day) on the afternoon of
the dance and put large signs on each side advertising the dance. Then they
would have themselves driven around town while they played. If you liked the
music, you could go to the dance or book the band for your own affair. Guess
who got to sit at the back of the wagon with his slide over the tailgate?
Right, this is where "tailgate trombone" came from.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.