[Dixielandjazz] My boy's perception.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 25 23:43:39 PDT 2007

A week or so ago me and the boy were driving along with a Ted Shafer CD
playing -- the five-piece "restaurant" band -- and guest vocalist Bob
Schulz came on with (ahem) "What A Wonderful World".  Even before Bob
began singing, my boy -- who's heard the Armstrong version several times
at his school -- wrenched his head up from his Nintendo DS (a feat in
and of itself) long enough to announce:  "Hey, I get it!  Sometimes they
take *regular songs* [my emphasis] and play them the way you like them."

By "regular" he obviously meant something not related to what we call
OKOM, et al, et cetera, ad whateversam.  But, still, pretty perceptive
for a 9-yr-old, actually, to have instantly made the distinction between
what might normally be considered the "mainstream" (ie, something his
teacher might play in class during art time or whathaveyou), and
something his daddy plays (which he's more than familiar with; when he
was younger I used to drill him on what instruments he was hearing; I
used to enjoy him pronouncing "banjo" as "banJO").

Just struck me, is all.  One might say he has a greater grasp of the
universality of music than most.  He's probably even better at it than
his dad.