[Dixielandjazz] Teddy Bears Picnic

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Oct 23 20:00:04 PDT 2007

benny theiler wrote:

>   Just wondering if any DJML'er has any knowledge of the
> origin of "Teddy Bears' Picnic" or knows any information
> concerning it.  Thanks in advance - Benny............

As a matter of fact, yes.

"Teddy Bears' Picnic" was composed in 1907 as an instrumental piece by John
W. Bratton, a successful Tin Pan Alley composer.  The melody is in the
Public Domain, at least in the USA.  The lyrics were written in 1932 by
Jimmy Kennedy, and the lyrics are still under copyright.

I arranged this delightful tune for Brass Quintet, and it's available
through BVD Press in Connecticut at www.bvdpress.com.  Please buy thousands
of copies so I can retire.

In about 1995, I was playing in a local brass quintet that included trad
jazz players Tom Brozene and Rick Siverson on trumpets, Howard Miyata on
trombone, Susan Miyata on French Horn, and myself on tuba.  Howard suggested
that I write this arrangement, which I did, and I ended up whistling this
infectious tune for weeks and weeks. Kay got VERY tired of the tune, and
asked me why I'd decided to arrange it.  I told her that Howard had
suggested it.  She said, "The next time you see Howard Miyata, you tell him
for me that he's dead meat!"

I still whistle it occasionally, but not when Kay is at home.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy