[Dixielandjazz] Blind Willie Dunn: Oliver or Dorsey

Wim Mossel w.p.mossel at orange.nl
Thu Oct 18 13:37:57 PDT 2007

Dave Bock wrote

 >I'm still looking for more opinions or information. I think Brian Rust
 >credits King Oliver as the cornet player on Jet Black Blues by Blind Willie
 >Dunn's Gin Bottle Four recorded for Okeh in April 1929. I believe the cornet
 >player is Tommy Dorsey. You can hear the recording here:
 ><http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Lang/jetblack.ram>http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Lang/jetblack.ram

 >For a recording of Tommy Dorsey playing cornet, check out Tiger Rag here:
 ><http://www.redhotjazz.com/tommy.html>http://www.redhotjazz.com/tommy.html

 >What do you think?? King Oliver or Tommy Dorsey??

Well, to me is it clear: King Oliver and not Tommy Dorsey.

"Robert S. Ringwald" wrote
 >I am not that familiar with Oliver's playing in '29.

I am, I have all his recordings and have listened to them seriously.

 >However, the vibrato and tone sound similar to
the T Dorsey recording of Tiger Rag.

I know the Tiger Rag done by Dorsey. I think he
tried to imitate Oliver, but did not succeed. (It
is a pity that Oliver never recorded Tiger Rag).
But listen to (more or less comparable with Blind
Willie Dunn) the Dorsey recordings: Tommy Dorsey
and his Novelty Orchestra, Tommy Dorsey-t/Frank
Signorelli-p/ Eddie Lang-g/ Stan King-d. New
York, April 23, 1929. Daddy, Change Your Mind and You Can't Cheat A Cheater.
The Tiger rag you mentioned is from November 10,
1928. On the same date he made It's Right Here
For You. In the November session the line up is
Tommy Dorsey-t/ Eddie Lang-g/ Jimmy Williams-sb/
Stan King-d and on It's Right Here For You is added Arthur Schutt-harmonium.
When you hear the way Dorsey uses the quartet
line up, it is quite different from the Blind
Willie Dunn's and his sound is far away from the
Oliver sound. Not near even. Especially the timing.

 >It is possible that, like many of us, we alter
our style depending on the gig, the style >of the
band we are playing with and in general, what we
are told to do when we are a >sideman.

 >Thus, I will say that it is possible that both
recordings are Dorsey. However, I will >be
curious to see what some of the experts have to say about it.

I agree completely what "Sante" jazzchops at isp.com says:
 >Oliver had a way of hitting some notes dead square on the beat. Dorsey
 >didn't do that. I think Dorsey's recording of It's Right Here For You may
 >be a bit better example of him playing with the Harmon mute at a closer
 >tempo to Jet Black/Blue Blood.
And by the way also with his last remark:
 >I'm a big fan of Dorsey's trumpet playing. The
total opposite of his trombone approach.

Kind regards, Vriendelijke groet, Grüße
Wim Mossel

a.k.a. w.p.mossel at orange.nl