[Dixielandjazz] Quote

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 20 17:05:46 PDT 2007

It's a good joke, because there's so much truth in it.

However, it opens up a whole new (old but forever young) topic for
discussion, argument, tirade, flame, etc.: tempo.

I think it would be useful to use this list to discuss several too often
neglected tools of performance, tempo and dynamics among them. But let's
start with tempo.

Speaking strictly about New Orleans or dixieland type jazz, and thinking of
the pre-depression tunes, my personal preference is dancing speed unless the
tune is an obvious lament or ballad, and even those frequently have foxtrot
or waltz choruses. Of course, "dancing" in this context doesn't mean just a
simple box step or a shuffle. When those tune were new, the bands which
played them played for dances and the dancers expected to foxtrot,
quickstep, waltz - fast and slow, polka, schottisch, peabody, and even
(gasp!) tango and rhumba, plus novelty dances. If the dancers could move
easily to the music, the tempo was correct by definition.

Since bands now often play sitdown concerts, and there are fewer dancers to
act as metronomes, I think the general tendency is to play TOO FAST. On many
of the record tracks I hear, and in live performance, the result is mushy.
Subtle synchopations, chord changes, phrasing emphasis, indeed all which
requires precision to execute (and to hear properly), gets throw away on the
altar of the great god Loud and Fast.

Well, I'm a banjo player, and I say "loud and fast" does NOT equal "good."
(Is that noise the sound of a cold snap in Hell?) Which "High Society"
clarinet feature sounds better: brisk (a canter not a gallop) and under
precise control, or runaway fast and blurry? I have never yet heard both
accuracy of execution and a flat-out run in the same piece.

I realize that increasing familiarity with a tune allows a musician to
execute more it rapidly, and thus increasing familiarity with a piece makes
the same tempo sound slower to the player(s), but I think one should use
this apparent extra time to improve the precision of execution. What say
you?

Remember: no low blows, break a clinch when the referee says to, go to a
neutral corner on a knockdown, and no punching after the bell.

Round One. Bong!

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.