[Dixielandjazz] N.O. Jazz players recording

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:06:12 PDT 2007

Hello Joe,
In addition to the OKeh recordings of 1925 mentioned by Brian Harvey,
in March '24 Victor recorded the Armand Pirons New Orleans Orchestra,
Lela Bolden accompanied by Piron and his pianist Steve Johnson.  In
April '26, Columbia recorded Willie jackson accompanied by Steve Lewis
and Celestin's Original Tuxedo Orchestra (this time with one cornet
only); the Tuxedo (with a two-trumpet front lie recorded for Columbia
again in October '27 and December '28.  Victor recorded Louis
Dumaine's Jazzola Eight in March '27.
Perhaps the best known New Orleans recording sessions are the April
and October '27 Sam Morgan sessions for Columbia, with Jim robinson on
trombone.
In November '29, victor recorded Jones and Collins Astoria Hot Eight.
The above information is based on Samuel Charters' "Jazz: New Orleans,
1885-1963," which deals only with black bands and musicians (most of
the records mentioned by Brian, except the Tuxedo, were by white
bands).
[Pls. note: the Columbias might have been recorded by OKeh - I have
not consulted my Rust).
Cheers,
Marek