[Dixielandjazz] Whadya mean, you can't hear it??

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Oct 20 04:55:59 PDT 2007

Okay, now you've got me questioning what I'm listening to.  I don't hear the
cuss words, I'm not hearing Bix's tone....

Seriously though, I'm not talking about intonation.  I'm talking about how
in his solo his tone sounds thin or "pinched," not big and fat as it does in
his earlier work.  Is he playing into a derby (as he did in many of his late
recordings) and I'm not catching it?  I've always assumed he's playing an
open horn on this one.

Hal Vickery