[Dixielandjazz] Whadya mean, you can't hear it??

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Fri Oct 19 18:52:03 PDT 2007

I just had my first chance to listen to the version Mike sent.  It's far
cleaner than any version I've ever heard, and I have to admit I hear one
possibility that I'm willing to say Venuti might have slipped something past
folks at Victor:  second chorus, first "sailor."  The rest I can't say I
hear it.

I will say something about the very end.  I distinctly hear an "l" is
sailor, not a "t" (or more correctly a double "t").

Here's an alternative theory.  I don't hear Venuti until the last "sailor"
in the first chorus.  Until then "sailor" is sung as two dotted quarter
notes.  On that last one Venuti sings it syncopaded: eighth note followed by
a quarter note tied to a dotted quarter note.

He's also (as Freeman described it) singing like a tough sailor, i.e.
pronouncing his "s" more like an "sh".  (Note that "says" sounds more like
"shezh" when Venuti shings...er...sings it.

Now, the only eye-witness account I've read in the past few days (and it
only seems like a couple of days to me, and not a week, but maybe that's
because I spent four days in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and that
seemed like a year) was Freeman's.  He thinks it's at the end (where I hear
an "l" in "sailor," and says Venuti sang "**** ass," which nobody here
thinks he sang.

Oh, well, I'll keep listening, if only for Bix, Benny, and Bud.  Which
reminds me:  Bix's tone was definitely shot to hell by the time he made this
recording, but I love the solo.

I just thought of something!  I remember reading another account from a
participant.  In high school I read "The Kingdom of Swing" which was ghost
written for Benny Goodman by Irving Kolodin.  I remember that Goodman (of
Kolodin) talks about the Sousa trombone and piccolo trills he and TD came up
with.  You'd think my teenage mind would have picked up on any mention of
Venuti putting one over on the people at Victor, but I don't.

Hal Vickery