[Dixielandjazz] Gannett's back!

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 19 12:02:43 PDT 2007

DJML, Tuba-Euph, others--
     I just gotta tell ya, Dave Gannett's back!  Most (if not all) of
the recordings he plays on are now available for mp3-download at
http://www.tubagear.com/.  I bought (only $9.99) and downloaded his
new recording, and you better have a fast connection, because it took
me about 8 minutes to download the zipped file (which was about 109
MB).  It's called _Movin' On_:  "Dave Gannett with Davy Jones and The
Dixie Rovers, Dave Gannett's latest recording is the first since the
accident that totally reshaped his chops."  And a delight it is, too,
with Davy Jones on cornet, Bob Leary on frets and vocals, Pat Gulotta
on trombone, and Terry Myers on reeds.  One of the most interesting
arrangements is Dave's version of "Big Butter and Egg Man" for flute,
guitar, and tuba in a kind of soft Herbie Mann island-rhythm.
There's also a Tempo de Haul-Ass version of "Avalon" that's great.
Dave says he's still only about 80% back to normal, but as we all
know, that translates to about 150% for us normal-human abilities.
     You can also buy Dave's _Tubas from Hell_, _Dimensions_ (from
Dave's archives of performances with Harvey Phillips, Ed Metz Jr.,
Charlie Bertini, and others), _Dixie Direct_ (from the old LP of Rosy
O'Grady's Good Time Jazz Band with Bill Allred), _Portrait of a Jazz
Band_ (Rosy O'Grady again), _Have Banjo, Will Travel_ (with Lee Floyd
and Carl Fontana on trombone), and others.
     The website also has links to new and used tubas on eBay, tuba
mouthpieces and sheet music, tuba CDs (by Bill Bell also), recordings
by The Black Dogs, and other fine stuff.
     Highly recommended!

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**             "O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet."
**                     -- St. Augustine (354-430)