[Dixielandjazz] Is this the real deal?

Denny Schreffler dennyschreffler at email.com
Wed Oct 17 21:24:43 PDT 2007

 Definitely a saxonette.  Not necessarily French -- could be a Buescher.
And probably a decade or more earlier than the 1930s.  Although C
(Albert) was common, they also came in B-flat and A, and with Boehm
setup.  Not really a new type of instrument, basically a mezzo-soprano
clarinet with a turned-up bell.  Just my conjecture, but as the saxophone
rose to iconic status after WW I, it was cool to play the saxophone -- I
have seen a 1920's trumpet in the Streitweisser Trumpet Museum (no longer
extant) that was built to emulate the shape of a saxophone.  The
commonality of the key of C for the saxonette probably was heavily
influenced (as it was for the "C Melody Sax") by the popularity of parlor
music and the inconvenience of not being able to read a B-flat instrument
from the piano score. Someone with a good ear and able to see what is
being fingered on the video could determine the key of the instrument.
Yeah -- a trumpet shaped like a saxophone. Denny Schreffler Tucson