[Dixielandjazz] Uptown/downtown idea's origin

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 17 00:46:11 PDT 2007

Butch Thompson wrote:
> I've always thought the Uptown/Downtown New Orleans thing started with
> Alan
> Lomax, who waxed poetic on the idea of "cultural ecstasy" in his book
> Mister
> Jelly Roll, published in 1950.   Anybody know of any earlier?

Dear Butch,
A quick check reveals specific references to the music of New Orleans
'Uptown/Downtown' in the following early books, implying that it was a
common distinction.
'Jazzmen' (1939. Frederic Ramsey, Jr, and Charles Edward Smith.) Pages
11-12.
'Shining Trumpets' (1946. Rudi Blesh.) Page 178.
'Mister Jelly Roll' (1950. Alan Lomax). Whole chapter -
'Uptown-Downtown'.
'Satchmo. My Life in New Orleans'. (1954. Louis Armstrong.) First page
of Chapter 1.
'Jazz: New Orleans 1885-1957' (1958. Samuel B Charters.) Page 2.
Kind regards,
Bill.