[Dixielandjazz] Holy Bucket with Violin

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 16 19:53:18 PDT 2007

Hi Dan and List Mates,

This clip is from a 1958 New Orleans Jam Session that was actually on
television in New Orleans, remarkable for the times in that black and
white players shared the stage during the broadcast.

There is another clip on youtube from the same videotape featuring
Alphonse Picou performing High Society, with Armand Hug on piano and
George Guesnon on banjo.

I bought the VHS video of the whole performance a couple of years ago
from Louie's Juke Joint in New Orleans via his *bay store.  Don't
know if he still has any.

There are some wonderful moments on this tape, along with the
glitches you might expect from a jam session.

The musicians on the tape include Sweet Emma Barrett, Louis Barbarin,
Paul Barbarin, Sharkey Bonano, George Guesnon, Armand Hug, Percy
Humphrey, George Lewis, Charlie Love, Sherwood Mangiapane, Eddie
Miller (yes that Eddie Miller, and he obviously was having a blast),
Louis Nelson, Alcide Pavageau, Jim Robinson, Alphonse Picou, Harry
Shields and Clement Tervalon.

Great stuff.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records