[Dixielandjazz] Correct lead for Riverside Blues by Thomas Dorsey

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Tue Oct 16 14:06:23 PDT 2007

For years I've been campaigning to get bands to play the lead correctly on
Riverside Blues, but it's been a rough row to hoe. It's hard sometimes to
buck the trend, especially when Lu Watters and Turk Murphy played it wrong
for so long. But Watters told me that many of the charts he wrote for the
band were based on recordings that were not always in the best shape, and
were not easy to come across in the mid to late 1930s. Obviously the copy
of Riverside Blue he used was the Okeh, where Louis is much better
recorded than Oliver. On the Paramount version, Oliver is much more
audible, playing the lead in a manner close to the original music.

Thanks to the kindness of a good friend I am able to provide a copy of the
Library of Congress copyright deposit by Thomas Dorsey of Riverside Blues.
The most important page is the first one, but there are links for all
three pages.

http://auctionpix.co.uk/users/mwf1225867.jpg
http://auctionpix.co.uk/users/yov1225868.jpg
http://auctionpix.co.uk/users/yov1225868.jpg