[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz Bands and musicians who read

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Mon Oct 15 12:37:56 PDT 2007

The only arrangements my college group does is Panama, New
Orleans Stomp, Black Bottom Stomp, Gatemouth & Drop That Sack.
We've found that it takes a balance of good ears and decent
reading skills to get through the arrangements. Most of us were
classically trained initially so the reading part isn't so much
of an issue. With us it's style and improv that gets the most
attention.

  Of course, once you practice something long enough you'll be
able to hear it and won't need the chart. We even find ourselves
building on arrangements.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis wrote:
Small groups tend to be more free wheeling as well as groups
that have