[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz Bands and musicians who read

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 15:46:59 PDT 2007

Willie Humphrey (or Humphries) made "the big time" (with the Louis
Russell Orchestra in New York) before returning to New Orleans, and
was an excellent and schooled musician.
Bunk Johnson hated the 1942 band, which had been forced on him.  Bul
listen to sessions with musicians of his choice - there he really
shows his mettle.

La Rocca denied that blacks played jazz before they learnt it from him
(he "invented" jazz, remember?).  However, the ODJB, despite their
denials, must have rehearsed a lot; hence the similarity between
"takes" (but not necessarily recordings of the same tunes from
different sessions).  Moreover, in those days, mistakes could not be
corrected, and every additional take made the recording executives -
the guys with the purse - angry.
Cheers