[Dixielandjazz] Help with dates of songs

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Oct 13 11:08:33 PDT 2007

Hi Elazar.
Assuming you're referring to the Miller arrangement, it was a shorter
version of that recorded 2/17/38 by the Edgar Hayes Orch. I believe Joe
Garland, Hayes' tenor and baritone sax player, wrote the tune as we know
it, may have arranged it. The classic sax intro was done by the bari sax,
and the Hayes record is significantly longer and jazzier.

So I'd use 1938 rather than 1939.
--Sheik