[Dixielandjazz] Josepine Please No Leana

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 12 23:25:52 PDT 2007

> This time I'm buying your version.  Better "meter" to sing  Angelina,
> than
> Josephine.   Ginny

> Oh, boy  am I in trouble with Ginny's "friend". I know that songs as
> "Angelina,  Please No Leana on THe Bell."
> --- I guess this is a "case in  point".    Craig Johnson

Dear Craig and Ginny,
Louis Prima's "Angelina" is quite a different song.
I know, I have a record of it.
However, I don't  have "Josephine.........Bell" anywhere, but recalled
it as "Josephina...............Bell".
I wuz wrong.
Now for the discographal bit!
"Josephine, Please No Lean on the Bell (composed 1945 by Edward Nelson,
Duke Leonard and Harry Pease).
It was made popular by Eddie Cantor and included in the 1953 film 'The
Eddie Cantor Story',  in which Cantor dubbed the singing for actor
Keefe Brasselle.
Cover versions were made by Louis Prima and Jerry Colona in the 50s.
Kind regards,
Bill.