[Dixielandjazz] St Louis Blues - Redux

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 17:22:49 PDT 2007

Hi Ginny:

You can see a copy of the ORIGINAL Sheet Music, published in 1914 by Handy
Brothers, at the below website. (Library of Congress)

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?aasm:1:./temp/~ammem_pXAD::

To find the playing order:

1) click on the sheet music cover.

2) Scroll down below the bottom right of the cover and click on the square
that says NEXT IMAGE. The first page of music will then come up.

It shows the first part of the Spanish Tinge section as an 8 bar intro, then
into the VERSE which starts "I hate to see", etc.

Keep clicking on NEXT IMAGE for the rest of the pages. It shows the VERSE,
then the second part of the Verse which is the 16 bar Spanish Tinge section,
then finally the CHORUS.

I guess that those who play 16 bars of Spanish Tinge before the Verse which
begins "I hate to see" are not following the composer's wishes.

BTW, the Library of Congress is a great site to surf for those with time on
their hands. Lots of good, original stuff there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone