[Dixielandjazz] Worn Out Blues/Wore Out Blues

Bob Rubin rhr261 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 14:46:06 PDT 2007

--- Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Oh no Barrie and Dingo!
> Not the old "Worn Out Blues/Whip Me With Plenty
> Of Love" controversy
> again!
> It's all in the DJML archives and involves
> another of those claims that
> the labels on the old 78 records were reversed.
> Think the Fats' "Minor Drag" story.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.
> PS Barrie. It's "WorN Out Blues".
> PPS: Both great tunes. Our clarinet player,
> Jack Wiard trotted out
> "Whip Me....." [the fast tune] at our regular
> gig yesterday.

  Bill,
   Now I'm confused. Are you saying that the fast
one is "Whip Me..."  . I remember loving this
song when I was introduced to it by a number of
bands at festivals in the 80s and early 90s. I
searched for and never found the C Williams
version.

  Sometime in the 90s , Brian Tower of the Hot 5
from Toronto played it ( or the other one - I
forget which) and told the audience about the
mislabeling and how the "Whip Me... " that I
loved was really "Worn Out Blues" and vice versa.

   Later, I finally was able to hear the C
Williams version on redhotjazz, where the two
songs are currently named as Brian Towers named
them.

   So, are you saying redhotjazz and Brian have
the titles inverted?  I haven't heard any live
versions in recent years and I am unaware as to
what the bands playing what was once called "Whip
me.."  are calling it now.

  thanks ,
  bob