[Dixielandjazz] Performance "Order" of St. Louis Blues

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 07:03:29 PDT 2007

Hi Mike and Thanks Scott!  Our little local challenge is about "why"  the
entire B section is getting played first by so many groups today.  I  don't know,
and am seeing how close I can come to "why".  Using Scott's  info and
counting bars, you find that when Handy first recorded it in 1922, and  in the 3
Louis Armstrong versions at the link below, the "tango" Intro is 8  bars, then the
"I hate to see" A section.  So they are NOT doing the full  sixteen bar B
section as is so commonly heard today prior to the A.
LInk to Handy's recording:

>_http://www.redhotjazz.com/handymbb.html_
(http://www.redhotjazz.com/handymbb.html) <

LInk to Armstrong  recordings: >_http://www.redhotjazz.com/lao.html_
(http://www.redhotjazz.com/lao.html) <

And here is the link  to a Bessie Smith film clip of fifteen minutes that I
hadn't spotted  before.  The quality is pretty bad, but I sill really enjoyed
begin able to  see/hear it at all these many years later.
_>http://www.redhotjazz.com/stlouisblues.html_ (http://www.redhotjazz.com/stlouisblues.html) <
(Click on the still of  the film to activate the clip.)

Ginny

In a message dated 10/9/2007 12:27:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,