[Dixielandjazz] Performance "Order" of St. Louis Blues

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Oct 9 06:38:07 PDT 2007

1. The original sheet music is found in W.C. Handy's "Blues: an
anthology". Don't know if it's still in print.
2. The lyrics certainly make more sense with the tango as part B.
3. Played as an instrumental performance, the tango might be seen as an
attention grabbing verse, followed by familiar melody with regular
dixieland rhythm, followed by C section with hard 4/4 or something akin to
boogie. My preference would be round of solos on B, then C 2X as out
choruses with hard stomping 4-on-the-floor rhythm.

--Sheik