[Dixielandjazz] Jazz St. Louis

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 07:18:35 PDT 2007

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote

> If "Jazz at the Bistro", now Jazz St. Louis ever hosted a traditional  or
> Dixieland group, or even considered such as "jazz", I am not aware of  it.
> Sunday, Sept. 23 went to The Sheldon, our best acoustic venue to hear  Jean
> Kittrell and The Riverman.  Listening to Noel Kaletsky, Red Lehr,  Steve
> Lilley, Jim
> Maihack, Bobby Grimm play extended imaginative lines and  thinking, "If more
> early-style jazzers had been this inventive and imaginative,  we would maybe
> not have to put up with so much boring, unmemorable  bop.  I truly think its
> got
> to be easier to play bad bop than bad  trad.
> Ginny

Hi Ginny:

You may indeed be right, but then, if OKOM fans/bands don't get involved
with Jazz St. Louis, we have only ourselves to blame for lack of OKOM
programs by them.

Both Jean Kittrell and Cornet Chop Suey (St. Louis area OKOM bands) are
listed on the Jazz St Louis Blog. Plus, note the following plea from the
organization. If they need marketing help, perhaps OKOM fans in St. Louis
might find some OKOM oriented interns for them?

Agree with you that OKOM needs inventive and imaginative players, but
disagree about bad bop being easier to play than bad trad. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Jazz St. Louis seeks interns.

Jazz St. Louis is looking for interns to help with marketing, publicity and
fund raising. From the latest blog entry by executive director Gene Dobbs
Bradford:

Would you like hands-on experience in marketing and fundraising? Would you
like to learn the ins and outs of concert production and promotion? Would
you like an internship that offers more than just filing? If so, you should
intern at Jazz St. Louis. Jazz St. Louis is currently seeking interns for
the 2007-2008 school year. We need marketing/communications interns and
development (fundraising) interns. A couple of our internships come with a
small stipend. If you are interested and would like to find out more, please
contact Sally Dunne at 314-289-4036 or email her at sally at jazzstl.org.