[Dixielandjazz] That's A Plenty - Chicken Dance

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Oct 2 11:38:20 PDT 2007

David Richoux wrote, in part:

> > But for an audience that KNOWS and maybe even ENJOYS the Chicken
> > Dance like at an Oktoberfest sort of thing) - they will not accept a
> > substitute.

Steve Barbone replied:

> There may be the odd audience here and there that will accept no
> substitute, however I have yet to run into one and so I respectfully
> disagree.

Steve, Dave is 100% correct on this one.

Sure, you can fool kindergartners by substituting another tune, but not
adults who know the tune, love it, and have been dancing this dance to one
tune and ONLY one tune for 25 years.

If you don't want to play the "Chicken Dance" then tell them you don't have
it in your book, but don't insult them by trying to pawning off another tune
in its place.  They know better.  Try playing a dance anywhere in the upper
Midwest, or at any Oktoberfest or other German-American event, and
responding to a "Chicken Dance" request with ANY other "substitute" tune,
and you and your band would be laughed off the stage -- or perhaps booed off
the stage.

Jim O'Briant
(who's played a LOT of Oktoberfest and German Club and Polka Dances) Gilroy,
CA