[Dixielandjazz] Why the ORIGINAL POST on the Chicken Dance IS IMPORTANT

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Oct 1 20:25:57 PDT 2007

Good idea,

But for an audience that KNOWS and maybe even ENJOYS the Chicken
Dance (like at an Oktoberfest sot of thing) - they will not accept a
substitute! There is that certain non-subtle rhythm that makes that
dance work. Just like the Hokey Pokey, Bunny Hop and a few other
novelty dances that you might get asked to do on some odd gig - there
just is no way you can fool 'em with "That's A Plenty" or even
"Turkey in the Straw."

(I have played Oktoberfests - once in Munich and Blumenau, Brazil and
many around California over the last 30 years. It can be a lot of fun
or a total drag - just like any other gig -  but the beer is usually
better ;-)

Sometimes I sit in with a San Francisco group called Polkacide - they
are the original "Punk Polka" band (but an excellent group from
Denton, Texas called Brave Combo started up at about the same time
and are also classed as "Punk Polka") - Polkacide does a version of
the Chicken Dance that gets faster on each chorus - quite exciting as
the bodies go flying around the Polka Pit!!

When my regular OKOM band gets asked to do the Saints we sometimes do
it as a rhumba (sort of like the traditional out chorus of Panama)
and it makes it fun for us - and the audience. They might do a Conga-
line anyway, this just gets them more in the mood.

Dave Richoux