[Dixielandjazz] San Francisco restaurant facade

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 1 03:09:09 PDT 2007

Dear our friends from the Hew Hess of Hay,
Particularly those on the left side of your big country.
A jazz friend turned up at our Sunday gig yesterday with a great 'snap'
(literally), taken from a cable car in San Francisco as he went through
Chinatown (am I still allowed to say that?).
It was a facade of a Chinese restaurant (Moon Street?) with a wonderful
montage depicting some jazz legends,
Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa (I think), etc.
The showpiece portrait is the pianist.
But who is it??
We had several guesses, but I'm not really about them.
The pianist looks like a black (more non-PC?) Don Ewell or Dick Hyman.
Which I doubt.
It was a small pic and I was (hic) half-way through the afternoon. So
how would I know?
OK. Wot's the story?
Kind regards,
Bill.