[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP and BMI

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Fri Nov 30 11:46:02 PST 2007

Has anyone ever told one of the BMI representatives to get stuffed? They
seem to be the most tenacious of the two organizations. But I would guess
99% of the music we play is ASCAP rather than BMI. What if you told the
rep that?

I was playing in a club a few years back when the BMI people came knocking
on the club owner's door. I told him that ALL of our music was ASCAP, and
to pass that on to the BMI rep. He didn't, but he knuckled under because
they were playing modern country music on the house system when there
wasn't live music. I mentioned that the way around it would be to pick a
satellite network that played pre WWII music. He didn't see it that way,
however.

Cheers,
Chris Tyle