[Dixielandjazz] Name Of Tune

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 29 15:01:49 PST 2007

Marty Nichols wrote:
> Key of Ab Bill. :)
> I  had to run up to my practice room and check  it on my trombone,
> then hum it until I got back to  the computer; so it depends on
> whether I could "carry the note" back downstairs.

[Earlier, Marty had indicated humorously to the DJML that it was "a
blues', and I asked "what key".
My question was sent over 26 hours ago and has yet to appear on the
DJML! Unless I missed it.]

Dear Marty,
Although my query was partly in fun, there was also a reason.
The Ray Ellington group, Dick Katz (p) Lauderic Caton (g) Coleridge
Goode (b) Ray Ellington (d/v), mentioned by our Pomgolian mate Brian
Harvey, recorded "Blues in E" for Tempo in London in late 1948. Which
I've never heard.
The long shot thought occurred to me that this may have been the basis
for the theme on the mp3 link posted by Dick Baker.
This mp3 melody also rang a bell with me, although I doubt Steve
Barbone's suggestion that it may be something that Miles played or
wrote in the 1950s.
If so, it wouldn't have been familiar to me (a mouldie), as I don't own
any Miles Davis records.
8>)   Just kidding Steve.
Like Dick and Brian, I too grew up with the Goon Show, which was
relayed at the time to the ABC - our national Australian radio network.
And then, by very popular demand, rebroadcast by it in endless repeats
over the last 50 years!
As a result, we came to know most of them by heart.
Dick Baker has revealed that it was originally played during "The
Kippered Herring Gang" episode.
I can't bring this one to memory and it isn't (that I can find) in my
Goon Show collection.
Kind regards,
Bill.