[Dixielandjazz] Sound of surprise (sorry Mr. Balliet)

Butch Thompson butte1 at mac.com
Tue Nov 27 06:19:26 PST 2007

Dave Richoux wrote:

> people would be
> pleasantly surprised that there could be melodic, non-abrasive jazz
> (and not just the historical recordings or current bands that play
> OKOM.)

That happens to me often.  After a concert, somebody will say "I didn't
think I liked jazz, but if that's jazz, I do like it."   I also have a radio
show that gets that response.  On the show, I play only historic material.
Nothing against contemporary players who play the older styles -- I fall
into that category myself -- but the premise of my show is the vintage
material.

Butch Thompson