[Dixielandjazz] Glenn Gould - The Revolutionary

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 24 13:22:04 PST 2007

<snipped>
Steve wrote:

Like if we can't notate the opening to West End Blues the way Louis
played
it, how can we notate Bach? Thank goodness we have the record of
WEB.

But then, I'm a jazz man who can't play the same thing once. Perhaps
that's
why I admire Glenn Gould. He could do pretty much what he felt like.
<grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

[I reply]
Well put Steve, I'm with you and I think the way you put it touches
on another important point.

The recording of WEB is a recording - a record of music being played
-we're luck to have it but - It's not THE music. The music is when
live people play and live people listen. And Good music's when they
feel it or tap their toes to it.

If I may borrow the old saying that 'what's good for GM is good for
America, I'd say 'what's good for jazz is good for the world' (I'm
not sure about GM any more).

Cheers,

Ric

Ric Giorgi