[Dixielandjazz] Bach, Beethoven and Handel

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Nov 23 15:26:08 PST 2007

That's a little harsh and awfully judgmental Dave.  Churches today are
deeply involved in show biz.  My daughter goes to one of the largest
churches in town.  They are called Rock N Roll churches by many because of
the character of their music.  Why do you suppose they do that?
Entertainment is a big part of church today and I would like to know from
someone what is wrong with that if it draws people to the message of that
particular church?

I went to a very conservative main line church and I had never stepped foot
into a modern church.  A band I was playing with got a gig in a church.
Imagine my surprise when I walked in and saw a completely modern sound stage
with video, recording equipment and advanced light show equipment.  They had
tables like a night club instead of pews.

Just what do you suppose they do with all that stuff?

Is this a new phenomenon?  I don't think so.  Music was virtually non
existent in most people's lives in the time frame of those great master's.
Music was an incredible draw.  Imagine no music, no TV, no radio, no nothing
and then you get to go listen to someone with the credentials of Bach
playing a mighty organ.

Are you trying to say that you wouldn't walk ten miles to hear Mozart, Bach
or Handle?  I'll tell you right now I would.  I performed once in the Mormon
Tabernacle and that place is set up for the incredible experience of music.
A place like that would draw me and I'm not Mormon.  Isn't that the point?

The churches also commissioned art work of such a magnificent nature that it
takes your breath away.  I have been in many cathedrals in Europe, South
America and the U.S.  You can't tell me that they commissioned all that just
for grins.  Come on they do all that to impress the masses and it's the same
with the music.  Religion and show biz go hand in hand and as far as I can
see they always have at least since the middle ages anyway.

It is true, I believe, that those composers did have a strong personal
commitment to religion but many musicians make their living today playing
church music and some of them are composers.  Churches pay money for music,
to musicians and composers.  This doesn't make them shills but people trying
to make a living.  Their personal commitment is between them and someone at
a much higher pay grade than any of us.
Larry
St. Louis