[Dixielandjazz] Creativity and Mental Illness - was Frank Rosolino

evidence at otelco.net evidence at otelco.net
Thu Nov 22 09:36:03 PST 2007

> It's really very simple. Music and musical talents are gifts from God. Once
> given, some people use them for His purposes, and some people just use them.
> Some people grow and develop them, and others do nothing at all with them.
> Some  go to the point of abusing them.

There it is, plain as day.  Amen Brother Bill!

We're all flawed creatures.  But to the extent we honor the gifts God
has given us, to that extent do we manifest the elements of beauty and
harmony that are the very earmarks of God.

Look at the staggering array of gorgeous music spawned by those
wishing to honor Christ's birth.  Look at the fantastic art by the
Rennaissance masters who used their talent to honor God.  Look at
Bach, Beethoven, Handel and a host of other composers who used their
talent to share their love of God and His word.  What about Isaac
Newton who gave us the very foundation of all our advanced
mathematics?  Did you know he penned over a million words on his
analysis of the Bible and equa-distant letter sequences? The list goes
on and on.

The point here, friends, isn't to thrust "religion" in your face.  But
when evil is thrust into MY face, I will always respond in a way that
is congruent with my integrity and with an eye towards giving an
account of myself to God one day.

I do not stand in judgment of Frank Rosolino or anyone else - I've got
my hands full trying to deal with my own failings!  But to those who
imagine that music is SEPARATE from your spirit, separate from your
heart, perhaps you should consider the fact that unity is never found
in division?

I am saddened by the tragedy wrought by Frank Rosolino.  And yet (as
is so prevalent in our politically correct culture today) everyone is
bending over backwards to understand, sympathize with and even JUSTIFY
his actions.  What about his family?  What about the son whose life
was ended so viciously?  The victims always seem to be thrown out in
the trash while we wring our hands and moan about the poor perps.  It
seems to me that we seek to justify evil in others so we can feel
better about ourselves.

It is always chancy to discuss religion and/or politics on any kind of
list.  Feathers are ruffled, lines are drawn and opinions fly like
spears between opposing forces.  For that reason, I ask you to forgive
me my opinions.

It is Thanksgiving.  I for one am embracing an attitude of gratitude
and wish you all an abundant and joyful holiday.

Dave G