[Dixielandjazz] Imperial Jazz Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 22 00:41:45 PST 2007

Dave Stoddard wrote:
> A friend of mine wrote to me as follows:
> "I have an LP recorded by George Segal, either late 60s or early 70s.
> He is backed on the album by the Imperial Jazz Band."
> Can anyone on the list tell us about these recordings? Who played with
> the Imperial Jazz Band on them?

Dear Dave,
I suggest that this may be the 'A Touch of Ragtime' LP album on
Signature BFW-40112 featuring (among others) George Segal (vocal/uke)
Mel Davis, Pee Wee Erwin (t) Warren Covington (tb) Johnny Mince, Mickey
Gravine (cl) Hank Jones, Dick Hyman, Harry Nisson (p) Bucky Pizzarelli
(g) John Tropea (elb) Richard Davis (sb) Ted Sommer (d).
Plus Teresa Brewer with husband Bob Thiele [the famous WWW man] (vocal).
I have details for the various personnel/tune combinations (if needed)
all recorded at the one session.
Which Mr Thiele writes about, at length, in his 1995 autobiographical
book "What a Wonderful World' [what else?].
But not really giving us any positive discographal information.
Unfortunately, I've never heard the LP.
Kind regards,
Bill.