[Dixielandjazz] Mozart effect

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 21 16:02:24 PST 2007

Hello all

Bill Haesler sent me the following and wondered if it could be extended
to jazz and blues.

MOZART EFFECT: A recent report now says that the popular "Mozart Effect"
is another charming urban legend.

The bad news for the hip urban professionals:   playing Mozart for your
designer baby will not improve his IQ or help him get into that
exclusive pre-school.  He'll just have to get  admitted to Harvard some
other way.

Of course, we're all better off for listening to Mozart purely for  the
pleasure of it.  However, one wonders whether, if playing Mozart sonatas
for little Tiffany or Jason could boost their intelligence,   what would
happen if other composers were played during the kiddies'  developmental
time?

To start the ball rolling, I can offer:

JOHNSON (James P) Effect: Child certain to make greats strides as an adult.

WALLER Effect: One never knows ..

MORTON Effect: Child continually claims to have invented everything.

BECHET Effect: Child shouts and yells louder than any other child in the
neighborhood.

SMITH (Bessie) Effect: Child wakes up in an empty bed, with an awful
achin' head.

To which, Bill has added:

RUSSELL Effect: Child has propensity to stutter and stammer.

FERGUSON Effect: Child develops a high pitched voice at an early stage.

BOGAN Effect: Child gets lowdown on the floor and finishes up dirty.

Any more?

Anton