[Dixielandjazz] Frank Rossolino & trombones

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 20 11:48:14 PST 2007

Funny I never heard about the "dark" side.
Probably better for me that I didn't. I loved all of
Kenton's sidemen.
Before he died, I had the pleasure of playing on the same
bill with Maynard, three different times since I landed in
Houston (Nov 2002). We had a chance to chat after each
concert.
My current bass player is George "Boots" Fontana.
His brother Carl played for Kenton and Woody.
Back to Frank Rossolino. Bethlehem put out a fantastic
"Porgy And Bess" 2 Lp set in the early 1950's.
Featured were Mel Torme, Frances Faye, Duke Ellington
and a host of other jazz greats. The narration is by
Al "Jazzbo" Collins.
One tune is SUNG by Frank Rossolino. Really cool.
============ New thread
The other day I thought of about six trombone players
who you would recognize by first name only. Today I can
only think of three. Perhaps you'll come up with others.
JJ, Kai, Urbie....
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com