[Dixielandjazz] Music Soothes the Savage Breast etc.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 10:33:41 PST 2007

Thanks Ginny. The reviews on the Amazon site are very positive also. I too
have ordered the book and look forward to receiving it. Interesting about
the Toxicity of music to one percent of the people. I wonder if there is
more to that, like are certain types of music, but not all, toxic to many
more than one percent of the people?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Gluetje1 at aol.com at Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote: polite snips & excerpts

Not off topic for me, Steve.  I've ordered the book since reading your
post.. . .Dr. Sacks:  He is also a fine musician himself.  Many probably saw
the 1990 film, "Awakenings" in which Robin Williams portrayed Dr. Sacks.
The day I went to hear Dr. Sacks give a lecture, he came on stage
impersonating Robin Williams portraying him.  Instantly grabbed his audience
and kept them rapt.

Two quick thoughts triggered by reading the review you posted and the stuff
at Amazon.com  One per cent of the general population find music toxic--it
is literally painful to them!  It's a brain thing which I believe musicians
should respect.  And even though many autistic thrive with music stimuli,
there are also autists to whom it is painful, Dr. Temple Grandin, for
example.

Four neat video clips of Dr. Sacks on this book at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tales-Music-Oliver-Sacks/dp/1400040817/re
f=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195580202&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tales-Music-Oliver-Sacks/dp/1400040817/r
ef=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&amp;s=books&amp;qid=1195580202&amp;sr=8-1>

Ginny