[Dixielandjazz] The Brits abroad

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 20 03:08:39 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Marek Boym

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] The Brits abroad

And why not, Andy?  Some of the leading American traditional players
are British, after all: Derek Smith, Keith Ingham, Cark Sonny Leyland,
Tony Pringle (the leader of The New Black Eagle Jazz Band), Marian
McPartland.  And do not forget the late Dill Jones.
Moreover, Neville Dickie is among the most popular performars on the
US jazz festival circuit, as is Keith Nichols.
And a story (quoted - from memory - from liner notes to a Black Lion
album): Many years ago, Chris Barber appeared in the States.  A few
years later, he came across a record by "The All-American All Stars."
Having heard the record, he had no doubt it was his band.  It turned
out that the band's show was recorded (Chris remembered a microphone
hanging above the stage), adn issued as by an American band.
Eventually, he regained the rights to the recordings, and they wer
issued on the said Black Lion album (great sound for a single overhead
mike).
Cheers

........ and as I recall (tho' vaguely) following the Alex Welsh's band
appearance at the Newport Jazz Festival (?) in 1966 (?), Alex was asked to
move Stateside by, I think, Eddie Condon, but decided not to. I read many
moons ago that the band was recorded while in the US, but have never seen
any release of this material if in fact any recordings were made.

My old mate, drummer Colin Bowden, has played the San Diego Thanks Giving
Festival for quite a few years, tho' not certain if he's there this time.
~~
John D