[Dixielandjazz] Bechet's Main Instrument

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Nov 15 10:08:50 PST 2007

If what you saw in the museum case were labeled as sarrusophones
then I would be suspicious of the curators. Ophicleides,
Sarrusophones, and Saxophones look very similar at first glance. They
all have keys and pads, are brass, folded conical shape in a variety
of sizes with relatively small bells. Opheclides have cupped (trumpet/
trombone) mouthpieces, sarrusophones have double-reed (bassoon)
mouthpieces, and saxes have single-reed mouthpieces.
Putting a different class of mouthpiece on any of them would be an
easy thing to do.

Serpents are a whole different animal (and don't even ask about
Russian Bassoons!)

David Richoux