[Dixielandjazz] Bechet's Main Instrument

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Nov 13 23:21:33 PST 2007

I will leap into this one with both feet (since it is total
conjecture on my part...)

It would be quite easy to pop a trumpet mouthpiece into the bocal of
a sarrusophone and play - probably would sound better than the double-
reed! (I did the same thing to a small double-reed Chinese horn I
picked up in Hong Kong and it plays surprisingly, well, OK  - very
flexible tuning ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarrusophone says the fingering is about
the same as a sax, but I cannot confirm that.

  It can go the other way as well - there is a double reed trombone
shown here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocal

Dave Richoux