[Dixielandjazz] Wedding OKOM

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 11:12:51 PST 2007

jim at kashprod.com wrote

>Steve wrote:
>We quote a one hour minimum for the cocktail portion, and a 3 hour minimum
>for the Dinner/Dance portion. We find that Weddings routinely produce
>anywhere from $300 to $600 per sideman.........

>Jim wrote:
>I like our wedding arrangements better:  1 hour cocktail & we get a good
>deal more than your top rate for 3 hours! No spinning disks, no dinner
>chatter, just a solid hour of good jazz & good money.

Jim snipped out the most important part of our rate quotes and wrongly
assumed that our top rate was $600 per man. That left out part after the ...
was: "And often, depending upon the client/venue, much more."

Be that as it may, any OKOM band that gets more than $600 per sideman, or
$4200 (extra $600 being the leader/booking fee) for a 6 piece band for one
hour at a local gig is to be envied. That rarely happens in the USA.

Bottom line for OKOM bands, where ever they are, is that weddings are good
venues for both creating jazz and being paid well.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone