[Dixielandjazz] Wedding Bands

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 14:17:36 PST 2007

"Rob Wright" <rwright at siatucson.com> wrote:

> Steve,

> If I was strictly mercenary about my music I would definitely persue the
> wedding market because as you say, there is a lot of money to be made.  Part
> band part DJ is also the conclusion I would come to.  In fact the last
> wedding I did, the band played two sets then the DJ took over and we went
> home.  However, my experience as an attendee has been that the top
> professional DJs do a better job of choreographing the event along with the
> bride and wedding planners.  I seem to be at the age where I'm attending
> several weddings a year now, which are mostly high end affairs.  There is no
> doubt that money has not been an issue and I have been very impressed with
> the DJs ability to M.C. the event and entertain the guests.

> I'm pretty sure I have played just about every type of venue imaginable over
> the years (not just jazz, but R&R Country and standards as well)and I must
> admit that although we always do our best to please, sometimes we were
> simply not the best choice.  That was my point.  We can play trad jazz at
> weddings, especially for an older bride and groom, but we are usually not
> the best choice.  The fact that you are getting hired by people who have
> seen you tells me you have got it figured out and I suspect your ability to
> "spin the discs" is a big part of your success.  For me, that's too much of
> a dog and pony show.  I'm beginning to remind myself more and more of my
> grandpa!  I want people to sit and listen to me or dance.  Otherwise I'll
> take my ball and go home.  :  )  Rob

I agree with what you say Rob. No question that most weddings are probably
served better by a DJ, or a real wedding band.

I should have made it clear that while most weddings may be better served by
a DJ and wedding planner etc., there is still a large market segment that is
perfectly suited to live OKOM. It is only this segment that we go after, not
the wedding market in general. It is also this market segment as I describe
it, that seems to be ignored by many OKOM bands.

You are right that since we are hired mostly by folks who have heard us,
they want exactly what we provide. Some are high end Society weddings and
some are just regular folks. Some have wedding planners and some do not. I
prefer those that do not because in my experience, the planners are a pain
in the butt with "play now", "don't play now", "do this, do that" etc., and
the wedding becomes very stressful for both band and bride and groom.

Also, it is not so much that we spin discs, but rather because the musical
tastes of the Bride & Groom, and/or their parents, mirror ours. All of our
weddings are low key because they want it that way and that includes some
very "high society" affairs.

While we are listed with various wedding planners, very few of our wedding
gigs come from them.  (Because I explain the band ground rules in advance?)
Half come from young people who have heard us elsewhere, a quarter from
older folks who are very familiar with our band, and of the rest, most by
recommendation, or from attendees of weddings we've done in the past.

Works great for us because we don't play music we don't like. And the
clients fully understand who we are musically, before we accept the gig.

I think the major reason we are successful at the weddings we do is that
most of them come directly from the audience we target. Young people. All of
us in the band except one are old folks. But we avoid sounding, and/or
presenting our music, like old folks.

Our young trombonist still in her 20s?  She can't help but avoid sounding,
and looking, like her grandparents. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone