[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and wedding bands

Rob Wright rwright at siatucson.com
Thu Nov 8 11:37:31 PST 2007

Steve,

If I was strictly mercenary about my music I would definitely persue the
wedding market because as you say, there is a lot of money to be made.  Part
band part DJ is also the conclusion I would come to.  In fact the last
wedding I did, the band played two sets then the DJ took over and we went
home.  However, my experience as an attendee has been that the top
professional DJs do a better job of choreographing the event along with the
bride and wedding planners.  I seem to be at the age where I'm attending
several weddings a year now, which are mostly high end affairs.  There is no
doubt that money has not been an issue and I have been very impressed with
the DJs ability to M.C. the event and entertain the guests.

I'm pretty sure I have played just about every type of venue imaginable over
the years (not just jazz, but R&R Country and standards as well)and I must
admit that although we always do our best to please, sometimes we were
simply not the best choice.  That was my point.  We can play trad jazz at
weddings, especially for an older bride and groom, but we are usually not
the best choice.  The fact that you are getting hired by people who have
seen you tells me you have got it figured out and I suspect your ability to
"spin the discs" is a big part of your success.  For me, that's too much of
a dog and pony show.  I'm beginning to remind myself more and more of my
grandpa!  I want people to sit and listen to me or dance.  Otherwise I'll
take my ball and go home.  :  )  Rob