[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and Wedding Bands

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 7 13:59:38 PST 2007

I think there are tons of musicians/bands that can handle OKOM and weddings.
Barbone Street does it successfully and is happy at the dollars weddings
provide. Much more profitable than just about any other type of gigs.

What we play is mostly American Songbook in Dixieland Style. Kern, Gershwin,
McHugh, Donaldson, Rodgers, Berlin, et al. With a few burners thrown in
after everyone has had a a few drinks.

What we also do as a fill, when we are on break, is plug a CD player through
our sound system so that if the client wants a few tunes in genres that we
do not play (Rock, Hip Hop etc) they can provide and/or burn some CDs which
we then spin via our system. Learned to do that after we shared a wedding
with a DJ 10 years ago. Heck, we easily cut the DJs out because live music,
properly presented, is much more appreciated by clients and guests.

Want to see the older guests get teary eyed? Play a medley of Stardust
(Trombone Solo), Memories of You (Clarinet  solo), I Can't Get Started
(trumpet solo) etc. For the kids? Making Whoopee or I Want A Little Girl
with vocals etc., etc. Must be hundreds of songs out there that they will
absolutely adore. Especially the Love Songs. (I Can't Give You Anything But
Love, The Way You Look Tonight etc.)

We've been amazed at the word of mouth bookings we get. And also by the
compliments the band generates. It is not uncommon for the father of the
bride (or other guest) to come up and say something like; "You guys are
F***ing amazing. This is the best wedding band I've ever heard." Why?
Because OKOM in that fashion is swinging, danceable, easy listening MUSIC.

Usually both bride and groom are also semi OKOM fans if not real fans. They
hear us at local gigs and hire us from that experience. We court that
audience and it pays off big time via 10-15 Weddings a year and at least as
many Corporate Parties. Pays the rent <grin>

In any event, I think many of the OKOM bands out there (given some of the
posts) VASTLY underrate the wedding market for our music. You only need two
things; Excellent professional musicians (hundreds are around in your area)
and a stage presence. That plus the willingness to go after the market and
become a DJ during each break which gives you a chance to eat dinner like a
normal guest. And "guest" is what you should be after making love to the
client.

Forget all that stuff about being a hired hand. We should all be much more
than that . . . and if we accomplish it, like Lester Lanin or Peter Duchin
did, we will be in demand, albeit on a smaller scale. Like we've had as many
as four weddings with one family of 4 daughters. After we played the first
one, the family kept coming back for more.

And always send a thank you card/note that says in your handwriting, "Thank
you for inviting us to your wedding." What goes around, comes around.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone