[Dixielandjazz] Gold Coast Jazz Band in Napa, Nov 11th

Bob Shoring bobshoring at california.com
Tue Nov 6 17:22:39 PST 2007

On Sunday, November 11, 2007, from 1:00 to 5:00 PM, the Napa Valley
Dixieland Jazz Society invites you to enjoy an afternoon of traditional
jazz featuring:

Gold Coast Jazz Band

At the Lodge, 2840 Soscol Avenue, in Napa, California.

Directions from Vallejo/Fairfield:
Go north on Hwy 29 to the "Lincoln Ave." off ramp. Go right on Lincoln
to Soscol, left at Soscol to the Lodge. The Lodge is only about 0.2
miles past Pueblo Ave. on the right.

Directions from Sonoma/Santa Rosa/Petaluma:
Going east on Hwy 12/121 from Sonoma, go north (left) at Hwy 29 to the
next exit ( 121/Imola Avenue/Lake Berryessa ) and go right.  Take Imola
to the 5th light which is at Soscol Avenue and go left on Soscol about
3 miles, through 8 traffic signals.  The Lodge is only 0.2 miles past
the 8th traffic signal at Pueblo Avenue on the right side.

Admission is $ 10.00.  If you belong to another trad jazz club, you can
get in for $ 8.00.  For members of Napa Valley Dixieland Jazz Society,
admission is $ 6.00.  For ages 12-17, admission is $ 3.00 and children
under 12 get in FREE.  The Napa Valley Dixieland Jazz Society meets on
the SECOND Sunday of each month.  The program, which starts at 1:00 PM
and lasts until 5:00 PM, has 3 sets by the featured band alternating
with 3 jam sets.  Jam Set musicians are welcome!

Gold Coast Jazz Band, based in Sonoma, California, now in its 12th year,
began with a fruit and vegetable barrier in front of the bandstand,
using a fine mesh screen to filter out the larger pieces of fruit from
splattering our freshly pressed T-shirts.  We were discreetly informed
"Your Cheatin' Heart" was not Dixieland and should play some
compositions by a former chef and Inventor of the Continental Breakfast,
Jelly Roll Morton.  After we began playing he sweet roll and coffee
music our audience ballooned to several curious onlookers.  Then we
found other great composers like Good King Oliver, Duke Ellington and
Count Basie.  Assuming they were European Royalty who had fallen from
grace, we were at first reluctant to play their music.  But found this
was no time to be anti-royalties.  Performing their music soon
skyrocketed the band from unknown to near obscurity.  Our perseverance
over the past 12 years has brought us to our present state of "Oh yeah,
that's the group with sticky T-shirts."  We have removed the barrier
screen and the band frequently receives a standing modicum of tepid
applause.  We now have a regular gig and a faithful following of jazz
loving vegetarians.  Someday we will all be fertilizer for the
propagation of someone's vegetable cocktail, or a side dish of stewed
prunes at a Denny's Restaurant.  'Till then, join us for dining and
dancing at the Little Switzerland Restaurant in Sonoma, California.
Bring a friend and a bowl of fruit.  Not too juicy!  We just got new
T-shirts.

(note:  Despite all the self-depreciating humor, they are a great band!)

One month later, NVDJS will feature a "Jammers Day" on Sunday,
November 9th, 2007 from 1-5 PM at the same location.

Spacious Dance Floor.  The lodge has Food and a Full Bar.

Call (707) 226-5285 for more information or you may write to: Napa
Valley Dixieland Jazz Society, P. O. Box 5494, Napa, CA 94581 or you
may email me.

Bob Shoring
bobshoring at california.com