[Dixielandjazz] Drummer Smokey Stover

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Nov 6 07:53:05 PST 2007

The drummer, Smokey Stover, once worked gigs around L.A. and was also
the bartender at Club 47 in Studio City, the club owned by Nappy La
Mare,, Doc Rando, and Noni Bernardi of the old Crosby band. Smokey moved
to San Francisco and worked at the Hangover Club there. Story is that he
was murdered by a down on the heels guy that he had befriended, but I
have no confirmation on that. He did die in SF. He was from Coffeeville,
KS and his professor brother taught music at Michigan State when I was
an undergrad there and worked a few college jobs with my band.. His name
was Oscar Stover. Nice guy and talented piano man who could play very
good stride.
That's my contribution to this thread.
Don Ingle