[Dixielandjazz] Keppard - OFF LIST

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 4 15:11:52 PST 2007

Hi Mike (OFF LIST)

"Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com>

> With enough material for at least one LP and at least a couple stray
> tracks on CD, can we really say we don't have enough to compare with?
> (I have one lo-budget LP and on a Geo Buck CD the famous [?] track with
> Johnny Dodds whereon Keppard [it may only be attributed to Keppard) is
> playing so badly one wonders why it was even issued.)

I would think that is no where near enough to assess Keppard's playing vs,
Armstrong. Especially since some think they were recorded after his prime.

Also in 1914 New Orleans, King Oliver is supposed to have bested Keppard in
a cutting contest and went on to claim the title "King". Keppard left town
for greener pastures after that.

Funny though, both JRM & Lil Hardin Armstrong thought Keppard was better
than Oliver.

I think Keppard is only positively identified on three tracks, under the
leadership of his own band, and 10 or 12 tracks on the Don Cooke Orchestra
where he is playing 2nd trumpet. The rest is conjecture as he had many
imitators.

>From what I have heard him play on record, he is an excellent improviser and
trumpet player, but still feel there is not near enough on record to make
any real comparison.

Armstrong, on the other hand left us 50 years of recorded legacy both live
and in studio. In just two years, 1923/4, he left us 9 times as many sides
as Keppard left in a lifetime.

Cheers,
Steve

Cheers,