[Dixielandjazz] Amazing Grace

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 3 13:31:30 PDT 2007

There is an amazing recording of this by the Texan gospel singer guitarist Blind Willie Johnson, him of the self-roughened voice.
A couple of choruses at standard tempo and then he picks up the tempo and 'let your light shine on me' is like on the way back from the cemetery. I should imagine his voice might not appeal to every dixielander, but the surge into animation is an interesting and appealing idea.
Simultaneously swinging and being sanctified  -- Amazing Grace indeed.