[Dixielandjazz] Amplifying a Clarinet

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Nov 3 11:04:56 PDT 2007

since a lot of the sound comes out of the finger holes most mike clarinets
above the fingers and not out the end using a fairly hot mike.  This is
because the B natural will blast the mike.  One system uses two mikes
attached to the horn.  One is above the fingers the other is on the end.  I
never liked it because of all that junk hanging off the horn and it's
expensive.

A barrel mike is great and Conn used to make one but you can't get away from
it.  That's the problem with any mike attached  to the horn.  Horn players
like to be able to get away from the mikes.  It also had that cord hanging
down that was very thin and got in the keys and was also prone to damage.
The mouthpiece or barrel was drilled and a special tube inserted.  The mike
was about the size of a nickel and was held on with a plastic cap that went
over the fitting and friction fit on the mike.  Worked great until you
stepped on the cord or got it tangled and it came unplugged or the mike
popped off.  Too bad they didn't have the wireless technology to get rid of
it at the time.

You might put one mike on a boom for above the keys and another attached to
the stand for the bell tones.  They would have to be carefully set to
balance.  The top mike would be a lot hotter than the lower mike.

I have often thought about a mike that would be floor mounted like a
standard mike on a low stand pointing at the lower bell.  The clarinet would
have a wireless switch that would sense the movement of the keys for the
bell tones.  This would be transmitted to a receiver that would damp the
mike that instant and hold it until the key was released.  The volumes
between normal and damped would be set with a simple balance control.  This
would allow the performer to move away from the mike and still have the same
qualities without the blast from the bell tones and best of all no wires.

I suppose the only reason, other than no one has thought of it, is limited
sales and high development costs but this is something that a person could
develop in his basement if he were knowledgeable about sound, clarinets and
electronics.

The world is waiting for a good clarinet mike............ Still
waiting.......
Larry
St. Louis